Whether you call it a yard, shunt, or spotter truck, a mule or yard dog, a terminal tractor is a must if you’re working in small spaces. Drivers need a truck that can help them scoot around cargo yards, ports, terminals, and warehouses with ease. Improve performance when you purchase a top-quality late-model yard truck from Route Ready that provides maximum visibility, maneuverability, coupling and uncoupling efficiency, safety, and comfort. When you’re backing in and out of spaces all day, you need a no-nonsense vehicle that can meet the demand for performance, safety, and speed – in other words, a terminal tractor.
Navigating tight spaces requires the right size and design features, such as:
- Single Cab – A terminal truck’s single cab offset to one side allows drivers to see and move around a warehouse, dock, manufacturing facility, terminal, or other small space safely.
- Shortened Wheelbase – The shortened wheelbase produces a smaller, more efficient turning radius.
Enhanced visibility features include:
- Wrap-Around Windshield and Windows – The inside of the cab allows 360-degree visibility.
- Glass or Perspex Rear Door – The fully transparent rear door provides a total view of the workspace.
There is a high demand for vehicles that move around docks and warehouses fast, which is possible for terminal trucks with:
- Diesel Engine – The truck’s powerful diesel engine is designed for short distance applications.
- Nimble Size – It’s not a truck for the highway, but 25 mph is a quick speed around a warehouse.
Comfort and accident prevention are top of mind for truckers. Get greater peace of mind thanks to:
- Auto-Locking Kingpin Couplers – The auto-lock system reduces the likelihood of accidental trailer release while moving and eliminates the need for the driver to get in and out to couple or uncouple.
- Added Grips – Terminal trailers come with extra-large foot grips on all walking surfaces and large cab doors with highly visible grab handles for easy ingress/egress.
- Ergonomic – The best yard trucks come with premium cab air suspension, as well as heavy-duty spring and gas shocks to prevent neck and back discomfort. The cabs are tall, wide, and deep, providing enough room for drivers of all shapes and sizes to operate with ease.
Training workers on new vehicles can be a drain on resources, but terminal trucks are easy to use with:
- Simple controls – Basic, intuitive push button controls leave little room for error.
- Novice-friendly design – Trailer access is a breeze with accessible rear doors.
- Automatic Transmission – Anyone with a license can drive this vehicle, without needing to shift.
Where to Find a Used Yard Truck for Sale
Looking for terminal tractors for sale? When you purchase a preowned terminal truck from Route Ready, you save substantially on the cost of buying new while still getting a powerful peak-condition truck that will deliver the long-term performance and durability you need. Our yard trucks for sale are ready RIGHT NOW to be delivered to your fleet with no downtime.
Contact us to get a terminal tractor quote today. We ship trucks coast to coast, throughout the U.S. and Canada.